Neil Armstrong

Anything that's not related to F-SIM Space Shuttle.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Neil Armstrong

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Neil Armstrong

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Just heard myself, very sad news.
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 pm

That's so sad :(

No longer than this afternoon I made a landing on the moon with space sim Orbiter with the LEM, thinking of how a good bird it was.
He was my hero when I was young, I think he changed the life and perception of space of million of people.

All my thoughts go to his family. We'll be missing him.

I'm gonna watch Apollo 13.
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby tomwatts » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 pm

So sad, RIP Neil. I was watching a programme, When We Left Earth, just last night where he gave a rare interview. Whenever he did speak in public he came across as a really nice person.

It's also sad to think that there are now only 8 moonwalkers left. One day, maybe in the not to distant future, there will be none. There is an excellent book, Moondust, by Andrew Smith in which the author try's to track down the remaining moonwalkers and interview them. I highly recommend the book, how the experience affected each of the moonwalkers differently is amazing. Some turned to God, one became an artist but all of them changed in some way. Neil Armstrong didn't give an interview face to face but was in contact with the author by email. It gives the impression that after Apollo 11 Armstrong never had a real chance to settle, he was always on the run from his newfound celebrity.

RIP.
tomwatts

UNREAD_POSTby Elefant » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:09 pm

I knew this day would come but it is always too early. Neil was my only hero when I was a child, dreaming to walk on his footprints. Now he's gone, I feel the emptiness. :(

He must be touching the stars now...

Rest in peace Mr Armstrong.
Elefant

UNREAD_POSTby tee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 am

since i'm a child my bed is beneath the window watching the moon. Neil was there and his skywalk will never fade
tee
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Very sad news indeed, all the more that he was like the symbol of a whole generation who dared mighty, risky things just for the sake of going and exploring. He was also the symbol of an era synonym of experience and know-how, and also of tremendous technical challenges overcome, designed and developed in a timeframe which seems ridiculous compared to nowadays deadlines.

It is all the more sad also because we don't even know when a man will set foot again on our satellite and because manned spacecrafts have been stuck to Earth orbit for decades, when the first Apollo astronaut walked on the Moon only eight years after President Kennedy said he would. And now that the shuttles fleet is retired, manned space exploration has once again come to a stall, for I don't consider that the ISS is such a marvelous thing from this point of view, but rather a simple excuse to say: "Look how capable we are to build something together". Big deal. What about the tremendous momentum given by Apollo? What have you done with it? Almost nothing beside the space shuttle. You're even happy to have kept a few things — like the last Apollo capsule still alive — to go look how your predecessors knew how to make things 40 years ago (like the pyro, guillotine-like device to cut cables and plumbing between the command and service modules, which inspired the pyro seperation devices for the Mars Science Laboratory cruise stage, among others). You should feel ashamed.

For all of these reasons, we will greatly miss you, Mr. Armstrong. Rest in peace, and thank you.
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby Vinny002 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:20 pm

RIP, Neil.

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Return to Off Topic