BUILD 248 (Version 2.6.2 RC 1)

Where the test pilots meet and discuss their flight day. Now open to the public ;-)

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

BUILD 248 (Version 2.6.2 RC 1)

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm

OK, here we go, build 248 (iOS) is ready to download (test pilots only).

It fixes a few minor bugs:
303: iPhone manual refers to iPad
304: switching language on help screen does not work (not sure if this was present in 2.6)
305: Better gyro controls
306: Bounced landings can now still be safe or even good (but not perfect).
307: Typo in iPhone landing analysis (mail gear instead of main gear)
308: Landing analysis screen doesn’t recognize scroll inputs on right side of the screen (4 inch devices only)

And 309: the tilt indicator (only visible when tilt with device is off) is not on top of the screen (was in the HUD in previous versions)

Please let me know if you find anything.
Thanks a lot!
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: BUILD 248 (Version 2.6.2 RC 1)

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 pm

And 309: the tilt indicator (only visible when tilt with device is off) is now on top of the screen (was in the HUD in previous versions)

Is it normal that there is no pitch indicator and only roll ?
I've a feeling that sometimes the auto calibration doesn't work properly.
It can be reproduced by moving to one direction (right for example), pause the game and move to the left, unpause the game.
It's not always the case but sometimes the tilt indicator is locked on the right and the shuttle goes into spin.
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Is it normal that there is no pitch indicator and only roll ?

Yes, that’s intentional. When tilt with device is on, the screen rotation also shows just the roll channel. It’s also easier to control pitch than keep the roll-input at zero.
I've a feeling that sometimes the auto calibration doesn't work properly.
It can be reproduced by moving to one direction (right for example), pause the game and move to the left, unpause the game.
It's not always the case but sometimes the tilt indicator is locked on the right and the shuttle goes into spin.

I didn’t change anything there, so it should work. I could not reproduce it (can’t rule out a bug though).
One thing to keep in mind is that when continuing a flight, you must hold the device level for the calibration to work. If you tilt it more than 15 degrees left or right when resuming, it will not calibrate the roll axis (and thus go into a spin if you don’t level it out). When resuming after a pause, it will keep the pitch setting, but reset the roll input to zero.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am

If I may, I'll like to add something about calibration trouble: very often, when I start a flight, I must tilt the device something like 45 degrees down to make the velocity vector stick to the glideslope, otherwise it goes upwards. It's like the software doesn't record the exact position of the device properly, and it's pretty annoying, for if I start a flight holding it at roughly, say, 50 degrees, I have to put it almost horizontal to make the shuttle dive. So I have to pause the sim, get back to a more comfortable position, unpause it and go on.
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Is the pitch correction set to auto (in the autopilot settings). If not, it will not automatically compensate for the pitching moments introduced by the speed brake.
Also make sure to not move the device during calibration.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby tomwatts » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 am

All good so far with this build, once again it takes a bit of time to get used to the slightly different gyro settings but I think I'm getting there.

Last night I did a few flights, on the very first one the frame rate seemed lower than normal during the flight, but for the replay it was back to what I'm used too. All flights after that seemed fine as well. It wasn't really low, but when moving the camera around, especially in the cockpit, it was really quite noticeable. It's not happened before, and it hasn't since. This was on iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1.
tomwatts

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am

Sascha wrote:Is the pitch correction set to auto (in the autopilot settings). If not, it will not automatically compensate for the pitching moments introduced by the speed brake.
Also make sure to not move the device during calibration.

Switching off auto pitch correction made things actually worse. The orbiter would violently go up and down all the way down to the runway, and to achieve a soft landing I had to have the iPhone literally look at the ceiling! ;) Never mind.
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Switching off auto pitch correction

That was a misunderstanding, it’s supposed to be on (auto).
on the very first one the frame rate seemed lower than normal

I’ve seen this too once or twice. I think it’s related to some kind of background process or download, probably GameCenter, or maybe iCloud was syncing something. It stopped after about half a minute and the frame rate was back to normal.
once again it takes a bit of time to get used to the slightly different gyro settings but I think I'm getting there

I know. In version 2.6, the problem was that when you rotated the device say to a 50% right roll command, it would kind of overshoot to say 60% * and then slowly go back to 50%. Now after a couple of flights I think you get used to this on a subconscious level and automatically compensate for it. With the new gyro filters (that do not overshoot), you’ll have to unlearn that. But in my experience it only takes a few flights and everything should be fine. With the new filters I hit the center line more consistently and got quite a few 1,000,000 landings :D

* I’m still a bit puzzled by this, because in the simulations I did this never happened. After re-doing all the math and playing with the filter settings for two days I found that Apple provides a gravity vector via the CoreMotion APIs which is very accurate, realtime, and filters out any noise and bias, it even filters out user-acceleration. Looks like the Apple engineers know what they are doing, so why re-invent the wheel… ;)

There’s no hurry, so I think I’ll do some more testing on the weekend and see if you find anything. If all goes well I’d like to submit it on Monday.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Sascha wrote:
Switching off auto pitch correction

That was a misunderstanding, it’s supposed to be on (auto).

Well, I did a very simple test : I tapped "Start flight" and held the iPhone very still, not with one movement. Here's what happened:

Auto pitch correction OFF: The velocity vector went up, then down, then up and down again and so on until I pulled up at preflare (actually I had to pull all the way up until I had the iPhone literally upside down to avoid a crash landing).

Auto pitch correction ON: The velocity vector went upwards and never really stopped climbing.

So, I switched auto correction on, and hoped for the best. I'm always careful to hold the device very still during calibration, so I assume calibration is incremental by a couple of degrees each, instead of precisely record the exact position of the device -- which I think is a bit surprising given the astonishing precision of the sim when flying.
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm

The only thing calibration does at the beginning is ensuring that with the current device attitude the elevons are level. You still have to steer :lol:
Whether the vehicle pitches up or downwards depends on many factors, like airspeed, pressure, etc.
Sascha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pancho's Fly-Inn