Game Center leaderboards

Where the test pilots meet and discuss their flight day. Now open to the public ;-)

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Game Center leaderboards

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 am

Edit: The correct upper limit is 1,150,000 points

I’ve got some e-mails about a 60,000,000 score in the final approaches leaderboard.
This is definitely fake. The theoretical maximum is 1,150,000—but it can’t be reached in practice since you’d need to touch down with almost no weight on the wheels.

I’ve found a Game Center setting on iTunes Connect that allows to enter a range for valid scores. I’ve set it to 0…1,115,000—this should remove the bogus entry and prevent future score submissions that are outside that range.
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Game Center leaderboards

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am

Hasn't Tom scored 1,115001 :P

FYI next to the pool, drink in hand read my ebook: This New Ocean by Wiiliam E. Burrows. I highly recommend it, the drink as well:)
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

I love it when the Kindle edition costs more than the paperback… :roll:

Tell me more about that drink though.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun May 12, 2013 3:27 pm

It's a local lager, free and the ebook was 'free' too.
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby Gimpster69 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Just my two cents;

I'm a little disappointed that you've decided to cap the scores at 1,115,000. Although that is reaching the upper limits of your scoring range it is possible to obtain scores higher than that. I know I've done it at least 2 or 3 times or so and remember Nikon D3X achieving 1,118,000 or so a few months back when Game Center was down and it wasn't posted.

I'd love nothing more than to have my high score solidified in 1st place by this "cap" but I feel you're robbing other 'pilots' of their chance to post scores which they may achieve over 1,115,000. Yes, achieving a score over this amount is very tough but not impossible. I'll post two of the landing scores that I've gotten over this score and you can see there is a tiny bit of room for improvement.

I don't have the answer for bogus entries but I do feel the current cap is perhaps a bit too low.

Dave
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gimpster69

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm

What?
No, the cap is at 1,150,000 points, which is the theoretical maximum. :)
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Gimpster69 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Sorry, misunderstood the typo! I'll take that drink now. :D
Gimpster69

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Oops, now I see. There was a typo in the second number. My bad, I’ve corrected it.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 am

I’ve got some more complaints about high scores that did not show up in Game Center. I did some research, here’s what I found out:
  • Game Center score objects can only be created for an authenticated player. Thus, when you’re offline, Game Center will not work.
  • Since iOS 5, Game Center handles network errors—once a score object has been created, Game Center will make sure that it gets submitted to the server (on iOS 4 this was the responsibility of the developer). So since iOS 5 this is a lot more fault tolerant and handles things like network errors. You still have to be signed in though—if there is no network connection at all, Game Center can not authenticate the player and won’t even let me generate score objects.
This explains the problems some customers reported. They achieved a new high score when there was no network connection or their device was in airplane more, and thus the scores were not uploaded to the Game Center servers.

As far as Apple is concerned, this is “by design”, but I wonder if I can do something about it. It’s easy to store scores locally (i.e. outside of Game Center) and submit them once a player is authenticated, but there are a few edge cases, so I’d like to know what you think:

Imagine that a player is signed out (or offline), performs a few flights, and then goes online again. He could have logged out and logged into Game Center with a different account too.
  • Should it store all offline-scores and submit them in bulk once the player is authenticated by Game Center?
    The fact that a player could sign out and log in with a different account before submitting the scores makes me feel a bit uneasy, but I don’t see how it could be used to game the system.
  • Storing scores locally also means that people could try to submit bogus scores. Encrypting and/or digitally signing the scores would make this a lot harder, but not impossible.

What do you think?
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 pm

I don't like the idea of giving someone the chance to file bogus scores. On the other hand, it does seem unfair to those on non existent connections and on flights who have probably just scored 1,149,999 8-)

Maybe if f-sim/Gamecentre can't see the outside world, there is an offline icon in the upper left of the menu screens (not in game). If people tap it it explains the ramifications of being offline.

For the time being what about adding this information on the current news board, just to keep the masses informed?
desktopsimmer

Next

Return to Pancho's Fly-Inn