Status report

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Status report

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am

I know you're waiting for the update - and I'm working on it 24/7.
Unfortunately there were a few problems - some performance issues on older devices and some random crashes - that need to be addressed.
iPad 2 owners maybe won't care, but since F-SIM used to work well even on 2nd generation iPhones and iPod touch, I think that users of these devices would expect that the update doesn't decrease the performance. And of course nobody likes apps that crash.
This triggered a major rewrite of the rendering code, which is almost finished now. My apologies for the delay, but bear with me, the update will be great!
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Status report

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm

It's okay, Sascha. From the screenshots you've posted so far, I can tell the update will be awesome!

And since the guys in Florida have a problem with the heaters on APU-1, which delays the launch to May 8th at the earliest, you may still have a chance to be done before it launches! ;)
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby tomwatts » Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Walle2815 wrote: I can tell the update will be awesome!

You are 100% right there Walle, it will definatley be worth the wait :)
tomwatts

UNREAD_POSTby nutriman » Tue May 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for letting us know...
I'm checking almost every day for an update thats how excited i am..
but take your time to make it perfect, we appreciate you putting in all your effort!
nutriman

UNREAD_POSTby quinncidence » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm

What about adding a more in-depth graphics/features options menu?
Obviously the new devices will continue becoming more and more capable, scalability will eventually become necessary, if it isn't already!
Even the newer versions of iOS ceased to run smoothly on my old 3G, with continuous stutters and lock-ups and crashes, so I upgraded my hardware. There's really no comparing the capabilities of the original devices to where we are now!
I'm not saying space shuttle sim needs to display full HDR with cockpit shadows, etc. But I also don't think the app's natural development should be inhibited because of legacy hardware. That's why the ability to toggle graphics options could be a useful solution. Heck, maybe that's the solution you're working on!
As always, keep up the great work. It still one of my favorite apps!
quinncidence

UNREAD_POSTby tomwatts » Fri May 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Currently some settings are defaulted to off on older devices to keep the framerate acceptable. However, for some people the low framerate is going to be worth it to see the stunning graphics that are coming in this update. Because of this, as you said, there are user configurable options so you can choose for yourself.

While the older hardware will undoubtably struggle to deliver the same performance as faster hardware, it shouldn't stop people who don't have the hardware from enjoying the app because they aren't lucky enough to upgrade. Don't worry though, keeping backward compatability isn't holding back the development of F-SIM Space Shuttle, you'll see soon ;)
tomwatts

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sat May 07, 2011 10:24 am

D'accord, thanks Tom!
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby nutriman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:49 pm

i dont mean to be pushy buuuut - Any news on the update yet?
just very interested on how youre coming along with the implementations for the update.
What needs still to be done or still needs improvement by now?

You see this game has me hooked so badly I even want to know about the development :D

Appreciate your insights
nutriman

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 am

Well, this turned into a major rewrite of the rendering system. Several small things I wanted to improve "some day" accumulated over the months, and you know, once you start working on one thing you'd like to do it right and can't stop there. The rendering code grew in size and complexity with every new release up to a point where it simply became unmanageable, buggy and (on older hardware) slow. I could have fixed it, sure, but I think in the long run the decision to re-write it was the right one.

I think the rewrite of the graphics system will be finished real soon now - I'll then upload a new development build for the test pilots and start working on any new issues that might pop up.

I've talked about, but never committed to any release dates in the past. Since my estimates have been wrong most of the time, I think it's best to not even mention estimated dates anymore. I know that the update is overdue, I'm working on it, it will be awesome and it's done, when it's done ;)

I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, and I'm sure you'll like the new version.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby blackbird1955 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:02 pm

I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, and I'm sure you'll like the new version.

Please take all the time you need ...
blackbird1955

Next

Return to Developer's blog