What's going on

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

What's going on

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm currently working on a small interim release (1.4.4) that will bring the following new features:
  • Full iPad support (utilizing the full 1024x768 resolution, iPad optimized menu layout)
  • iPhone 4 support (higher screen resolution, no gyros yet as I currently don't have an iPhone 4 test device)
  • Suspend (iOS4), you'll be able to continue the flight e.g. after a phone call.
  • Some minor UI enhancements
  • Scores for bad landings too - to avoid frustrating new users, they'll get a non 0 score even if the landing was not actually safe (e.g. slightly too high vertical speed, weight on wheels or derotate-speed)
  • New leaderboards: The "final approach" leaderboard will stay the same. The "full approach" leaderboard will be replaced by two new leaderboards: One with scores for the approach (how well you stayed on the glideslope and the groundtrack) and a combined leaderboard for approach and landing

This is not yet the "big" update with external views, etc. (will be 1.6) - but I have to add the iPad support as soon as possible.

Let me know what you think, especially about the idea with the "approach" leaderboard and separate scores.
If there's any other small feature you'd like to see which can be implemented in less than a day I'll try to include it, please let me know..
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: What's going on

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice features on approach !
I won't be able to give feedback on the 3 first, but for the "full approach" scoring, does it really need to separate the score into 2 boards ?
In my personnal opinion, I think the board with combined approach & landing is enough and is more challenge than the approach one.

But let's figure out what other people think about it ! :)
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Ok, the idea was something like that:

The current "final approach" leaderboard will be renamed in "landing".
Your landing scores will always go into this leaderboard, regardless of whether it was a full or a final approach.
The current "full approach" leaderboard will be replaced with something new. As mentioned above, the pure landing scores already go into the "landing" leaderboard even for a full approach. So there are two possibilities:
1. A single "full approach" leaderboard, with the sum of the landing and the approach scores
2. Two separate "full approach" leaderboards, one with just the approach scores (glideslope and groundtrack error) and one with the combined approach/landing score.

I see that 2) might be a bit confusing, so I think that I'll follow your suggestion...

About the scores:
* For the final approach I won't change much, but I'll count the "max distance to centerline" only between main- and nose-gear touchdown, to not punish pilots who wait until wheelsstop (which theoretically can make your score worse when you don't stay on centerline) - unless of course you roll off the runway, in which case the score is reset to 0.
* If the landing was "almost" OK (e.g. just slightly too high vertical speed, derotate too early, slightly too much weight on wheels, etc.) you'll still get a score (let's say between 0 and 100,000 points).
* The theoretical maximum for the landing score will still be 1,000,000 points.
* The maximum score for approach will also be 1,000,000 points, so the combined max. score would be 2,000,000 points.
* No points (not even for a perfect approach) if you crash at landing
* You won't get an approach score if the HAC turn angle is less than 180 degrees (in this case only the landing counts, just like in a final-approach scenario).

To compute the score for the approach I've had the following idea:
* At a fixed rate (e.g. 6 times per second) the distance to the glideslope and the optimal ground-track is computed.
* These numbers are squared
* After touchdown, the average of the error-squared is computed to derive the score.

This means that e.g. flying 100 ft off the glideslope for 16 seconds is equally "bad" as flying 400 ft off the glideslope for 1 second.
I think the square makes sense: If you're reasonably close to the glideslope, you won't get many "bad" points.

There should also be some kind of weight, depending on the distance to the runway (closer too the runway, 200ft off glideslope is much worse then 1000ft off glideslope when you're at 50,000 ft).

What do you think?
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am

IMHO the Landing/touchdown and the Glidescope/ground track accuracy score is a good idea for the full approach. I like your idea of having separate score boards for straight in and start points over 180' that you have mentioned previously. IMHO I think the full approach result page should show the user: HAC accuracy, final approach accuracy and touchdown accuracy score, with the two scores that they have flown; Full score and landing score. IMHO you could do the same for the final approach mode too?

If a simple 2d replay using the map mode, and and a side view (showing the orbiter's pitch) indicating the path flown and the glide scope/ground track, so that the user can see how good/bad they have flown.
desktopsimmer

Return to Developer's blog