iPad screenshots

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

iPad screenshots

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:31 pm

The next update (version 1.4.4) will introduce full iPad support, here are a few early screenshots (click to enlarge):

Compared to the iPhone/iPod I've changed the field of view from 41 degrees to 65 degrees.
What do you think?
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: iPad screenshots

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:48 pm

What do I think ??

Well...

I DO want an iPad to have this simulator in my hands ! :D :D
It looks waaaay more detailed than the iPhone version.. which is a pretty hard challenge !

But I think there is lot of free space just under the bottom of the HUD. Isn't there a button to change the brigthness of the real HUD in this place ?
I think that the new FOV can allow to add some other cockpit frames elements (structures, inactive buttons, borders of the windows..) Or the big manual like this picture for a more immersive situation! :P

Anyway, congratulations on this future update. I'm sure you'll get many positive reviews !

How good is the framerate by the way on this iPad ?
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 pm

It looks waaaay more detailed than the iPhone version.. which is a pretty hard challenge !

It's just the higher screen resolution. I haven't changed the textures, but the are pretty detailed anyway. The iPad would support 2048x2048 textures, but to stay backward compatible with 2nd generation hardware I'll stick to the 1024x1024 versions for now.

But I think there is lot of free space just under the bottom of the HUD. Isn't there a button to change the brigthness of the real HUD in this place ?

You're absolutely right. I'm going to add at least a partial "virtual cockpit" with the window and parts of the cockpit visible.
I like the idea with the brightness knob - adjusting the HUDs brightness is possible, there's just no control for that at the moment, but I think it would be a nice additional detail on the iPad version. Perhaps a manual declutter button too... I gotta check the manual for where these knobs/buttons actually are...

I'm quite happy with the field of view, but I could make that adjustable too (e.g. allow zooming with the two-finger pinch gesture).

How good is the framerate by the way on this iPad ?

I haven't measured it, but it runs very smoothly. I've designed the graphics to run smoothly (i.e. 30 fps) on 2nd generation hardware, and 3rd gen iPods and the 3GS are even faster. The higher screen resolution (which means more than 4 times as many pixels to fill) doesn't seem to stress the iPads graphics hardware in any way.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Troutc » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:01 am

Will the iPad version be a seperate purchase? I hope not-I just bought the iPod version so i can practice until the ipad version comes out.
Troutc

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:35 pm

It will be a universal app and a free upgrade.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Chain » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Sascha, any news on new F-Sim version? 8-)
Chain

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 am

Working on it, should be ready "real soon now" ;)
Seriously, it should be on the App Store by the end of August, maybe a week later.
Sascha
Site Admin

Return to Developer's blog