The making of F-SIM Space Shuttle

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

The making of F-SIM Space Shuttle

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:57 am

Here are a few videos I've found on my harddisk showing F-SIM Space Shuttle in a very early state of development (about one year ago):

One of the very first flights. The flight model was still very basic. This version was written in Java and ran on my desktop PC, it was controlled with the mouse.
The HUD was just an overlay.

Still running on the PC, but this time controlled via joystick. This video shows the first 3D version of the HUD. The idea was to visualize the forces that act on the vehicle by moving the pilot's head.

Another video showing the 3D HUD, this time from a different angle.

The first graphics test for the iPhone version. This one is running on the iPhone simulator. Compared to the PC version above, the graphics are greatly improved, with much better textures, clouds and even reflections in the water. This version had no flight dynamics model, the camera in this test simply followed a straight line to the runway.

The first flight on the iPod touch. Here the flight model was already implemented (although I think in this flight it used a C172 model instead of the Orbiter), but the HUD is still missing. No collision detection though.

The very first version that showed the 3D HUD on an iPod touch, still without HUD symbols. Perhaps still with the C172 model, but this time including collision detection.

And last not least... VERSION 0.1 BUILD 1 (with the Space Shuttle flight-dynamics-model and a fully functional HUD).
From here it was still a long way to version 1.0, the sound and all the menus were still missing. But it was a proof of concept, and landing the shuttle on an iPod was fun, so I had enough confidence to go on and finally release version 1.0 in January 2010.
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: The making of F-SIM Space Shuttle

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Very interesting ! That's a quantity of work.
It might be me, but did you change the ground textures of KSC?

I think the ones on test5 and 6 look much colorful than those I use to fly.
But maybe it's the camera too..
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 pm

In some of these tests there was a bug with alpha compositing (resulting in black borders around the water-surfaces).
Visibility was nearly infinite, even if you set the visibility to maximum now I think you won't get such a clear air. And of course I've reduced the contrast in the textures used for overcast approaches. But other than that, nothing has changed (but I didn't use a screen-capture software but filmed it with a camera, and I think I've even post-processed the files to boost the contrast a bit).
Edit: What's also changed are the runway textures. The videos above use the ortho-images of the runway, in the final version I've post-processed them (i.e. removed all runway markings from the textures and replaced them with some vector drawings).
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby blackbird1955 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:31 pm

A very nice "Documentary" of "the making of f-sim". Great stuff!!!
blackbird1955

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:51 am

Great blog there Sascha. I feel that fsim has been through a few major refits so far, just like the RL Space shuttle. The next upgrade will be another great milestone. ;)
desktopsimmer

Return to Developer's blog