Homepage redesign

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Homepage redesign

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

The new homepage is finally online.
I hope you’ll like it. It should work with any moden browser, please let me know if there are any display problems.

The blog/news section, the manual, and the forum are not ready yet—so for the time being the menu links to the old version of these pages.
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Homepage redesign

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:50 pm

As they say in Firefly, Shiney! I even prefer the F-Sim Space Shuttle logo next to the iPad. One idea I have for a future version of any F-Sim is to have an inbuilt RSS/news/blog that if the iDevice is online it download latest news and info. What do you think?
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:48 pm

As they say in Firefly, Shiney

Heh, thanks ;-)
I even prefer the F-Sim Space Shuttle logo next to the iPad.

I’m glad you like that. I liked the old logo too, but it’s a custom font I’ve made, and it looks kind of amateurish. The new one’s not the most creative one, but I think ultimately it looks better.
One idea I have for a future version of any F-Sim is to have an inbuilt RSS/news/blog that if the iDevice is online it download latest news and info. What do you think?

I like the idea. But implementing such a feature is much more work than it looks like. I mean, sure, the basic functionality doesn’t take longer than an hour to code, but then there’s so many things that could go wrong with network communications. And your code has to handle all that possible problems, and while handling them, be careful to not introduce more problems ;) I’ll have to look into this.
OpenFeint also has this news feature, and there are APIs to incorporate it into the apps UI (right now it’s only accessible when you start the OpenFeint dashboard, but I could integrate it e.g. into the main menu). Maybe I’ll give that a try…
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:30 pm

How about if you added the shuttle on the logo?
logo.png
logo.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 28332 times
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm

I like that, it’s a great idea!
I’ll have to see how it looks on the homepage, and also when scaled to different sized (e.g. to replace the logo in the game), but I think it looks pretty cool.
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 pm

I've uploaded the source inkscape file to the dropbox
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Don't take it the wrong way, but to me the old logo was cool whereas the new one looks amateurish, precisely. I understand you've thought of something simple and it's a very good idea, but then I would have imagined something more in the spirit of the font used on the orbiter (for the words "United States" and "Atlantis"), not in italics, to write "Space Shuttle". Then I would have thought of a different font for F-SIM, since you intend it to be a family of different flight simulations in the future. See what I mean?
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 pm

I did not use the shuttle silhouette in the logo (rejected by my wife ;-))

The font is Helvetica (neue in this case), the same as on the Orbiter. It also happens to be the default system font in iOS. It is kind of overused, that’s why I’ve used a different font (Trebuchet MS) in previous versions of F-Sim. I liked it initially, but with time you get tired of it. And since there’s only a small selection of fonts available in iOS (especially in iOS 3 on the iPhone), I came back to Helvetica. I know, everybody is using it, but this doesn’t make it a bad font.

I also like Futura (Kubrik used it a lot, and I still associate it with 2001: A Space Odyssey), but it didn’t look right for F-Sim. Maybe in a future app…
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Wives, they've got the ultimate final say :) I've always liked the font used for the credits in Battlestar Galatica new series m. I believe it's Bank Gothic.
desktopsimmer

Return to Developer's blog