Plans for 2012: New F-Sim apps, Android ports and more

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Plans for 2012: New F-Sim apps, Android ports and more

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:29 am

There hasn’t been a blog post for a while, so here we go…

2011 is over, and F-Sim Space Shuttle has been a huge success on the App Store (thanks to everyone who purchased it!)
With the last two major updates it’s now got every feature I originally planned (most importantly the external views and the replay), plus some cool stuff I didn’t plan when version 1.0 was released. There will be more updates with new features, but I think it’s also time to start working on new apps, so here’s what I’m planning to do in 2012 (no promises though, plans can change):

My brother in law is working on an Android port of F-Sim Space Shuttle and is making good progress. We’ve got the settings and menus up and running and OpenGL performance looks pretty good as well (we’re currently testing on a relatively old device, a 1st generation Nexus phone). This is quite a huge undertaking, because we have to port it from C/Objective-C as used by iOS to Android’s flavor of Java. It’s not finished yet and once it is we’ll need to do a lot of testing on different Android devices, so it’s too early to talk about a release date. The initial Android release will most likely be based on F-Sim 2.0.

I’ve started to work on new flight simulation apps (for iOS). It will cease legacy device support (iPhone, iPhone3G, 1st and 2nd generation iPod touch) and only run on hardware that supports OpenGL ES 2.0 (iPhone 3GS and newer, 3rd generation iPod touch and newer, all iPad versions). The new graphics system will support elevation maps (mountains), and the simulation part will be further developed to support engines, supersonic flight, and more. Like F-Sim Space Shuttle, the first new F-Sim app will initially focus on a single, very special aircraft, but it will evolve over time and I might add more planes in future versions. It will feature an improved physics engine (so it will be as realistic as possible), but also keep the gaming elements (analysis and statistics, scores, leader boards, and achievements). I’ll keep you up to date…

I think most users of F-Sim Space Shuttle like it because it’s a flight simulator, that’s why the next F-Sim app will focus on flight simulation as well. But I’m also planning a new space flight game, so stay tuned.

To sum it up, here’s the plan for 2012:
* At least one update for F-Sim Space Shuttle
* An Android port of F-Sim Space Shuttle
* At least one new F-Sim flight simulation app (for iOS first)
* A space flight related game app (for iOS first)

That’s quite a lot, and at this time I can’t make any promises. It’s entirely possible that some of those projects will slip into 2013 (or not materialize at all).
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Plans for 2012: New F-Sim apps, Android ports and more

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 am

Supersonic flight, Engines, this can mean only two things, faster and higher. However, I've just had a thought for a 2013 app, "F-sim Kitty Hawk 1903". why not? :)
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby quinncidence » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

What a fantastic job with this app!  I was doing some landings recently and the thought occurred to me, 'this app is done!'  Everything that was 'promised' is included and then some, and executed beyond my expectations!  Do you know the last time I've had that occur with software in general, and a sim in particular? Oh, say...never!  A big kudos to you and your team.
I'm hoping for your next space sim to be along the lines of Orbiter, the beautiful space environment sim by Dr. Schweiger and community.  Of course, using my iPhone/iPad for realistic interplanetary travel may still be a tall order, but it doesn't hurt to dream!  Maybe a port of SSMS?  Oh, dreaming again!
Whatever you have up your sleeve, Sascha, I look forward to seeing your future projects realized.
As always, thank you! 
quinncidence

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Yes, this app is definitely awesome — and complete! The result is particularly outstanding for flight sim lovers who seek realism pushed to an acme, and personally I couldn't be more excited every time I fly the shuttle to a landing.
The perspective of new flight sim apps is obviously great news. Can't wait to see what Sascha has in mind, even though I suspect it will eventually deal with fighters and commercial airliners. ;)

"Up, up and away!"
Walle2815

UNREAD_POSTby blackbird1955 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

* At least one new F-Sim flight simulation app (for iOS first)

Can't wait!!!!!
blackbird1955

UNREAD_POSTby nutriman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 am

sounds very promising, looking forward to checking out new features and apps!
keep up your great work sascha and your team!
nutriman

UNREAD_POSTby PJNJR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 pm

What is the status of the Android version?

Thanks.
PJNJR

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Almost done, we’ll start beta testing any day now. It’s based on version 2.0, with some but not all features of 2.2 and 2.4 added. We’ll try to catch up with the iOS version in future updates. So far we’ve tested it on an HTC Nexus one, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, some LG phone and an HP TouchPad running Android, and it works really well.

We have to deal with some legal stuff though: unlike Apple, the fine folks at Google decided to not remit any sales or value added taxes (thanks Google, you make life for indie-developers really easy :roll: ), so we’re on our own. We’ll start in the US and the European Union first, and add other countries as we figure out the legal stuff.

Here are a few screenshots from the Nexus one:
IMG_0193.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg
IMG_0195.jpeg
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby PJNJR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Awesome!
PJNJR

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:14 pm

I'd love to see an F-SIM Lunar Module, which I'm sure would be amazing. I can imagine LEM separation, powered descent and manual landing. In short, every part that was or could be flown manually. But I know that's a lot of work!

And later there could be Transposition & Docking of the command module with the LEM added, and a short animated sequence of the extraction from the SIV-B.

I know, it is good to dream... :D
Walle2815

Next

Return to Developer's blog