Privacy

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Privacy

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am

There has been quite an uproar lately about iOS apps that scan your address book and upload all your contacts to some server.
While Apple has responded and presumably will restrict access to the contacts in a future version of iOS, it is still a bit unsettling how some developers disregard your privacy.

It goes without saying that F-Sim Space Shuttle does not even access any of your private data. It never has, and never will. It is a paid app, and in return for your $3.99 you get a pretty cool flight simulator. That’s it. There’s no need for me to “explore alternative business models” (which usually means offering free apps that steal your private data and sell it to advertisers).

For full disclosure:
  • The F-Sim Space Shuttle app periodically checks http://www.f-sim.com for news to display. These requests do not contain any personal data and are not stored or even logged.
  • It includes OpenFeint, a social gaming network that offers online leaderboards, achievements and more. While these are pretty nice features, you don’t have to enable OpenFeint to play F-Sim Space Shuttle. For details about what kind of information OpenFeint collects, please read their privacy policy.

If you have any questions, please contact me (reply to this post or send me an e-mail).
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Privacy

UNREAD_POSTby Walle2815 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 am

Sascha,

The mere fact that you put so much patience and hard work in F-SIM just for the love of the Space Shuttle, achieving a flight simulator that is awesome regarding quality, flight dynamics and realism, pleads in your favor to the point that I've never, ever even wondered if your app concealed some hidden, treacherous feature that sends personal data to some remote server. To me, asking such a question is just— well, a million miles away.

When someone produces such an app, it's more a work of fine engineering than a little game uniquely destined to make money. I would almost compare you to one of the guys that conceived and operated the SSME, rather than to a "profiteer".

Thank you for making things clear anyway, and go on!

Can't wait for your next apps ;)
Walle2815

Re: Privacy

UNREAD_POSTby quinncidence » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 am

I second that! From the app store description to the website and forum, to the sim itself, this app gives such an impression of honest motivation that the thought never crossed my mind to have the slightest suspicion.
I appreciate the statement nonetheless.
Cheers!
quinncidence

Return to Developer's blog