Happy birthday F-SIM Space Shuttle

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Happy birthday F-SIM Space Shuttle

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Exactly one year ago, on Januray 30th 2010, F-SIM Space Shuttle was approved by Apple and went on sale on the App Store.

Compared to the current version it was quite simplistic, there were only day approaches in clear skies, no configurable system failures, no manual controls for rudder, speedbrake, chute and gears, no online leaderboards, no achievements, no virtual cockpit and of course no iPad or retina display support.

But it had the same realistic flight dynamics model, and it already featured the landing analysis screen with the safe, good and perfect landing scores. In retrospect, I believe it's the landing analysis that ultimately lead to its success, not only as a simulation, but also as a game. Flight simulation enthusiasts across the world embraced it since version 1.0, trying to nail that perfect landing in the worlds most extraordinary aircraft. "Just one more try..." ;-)

It's come a long way in it's first year, I've continually updated it and added new features, and it's been downloaded more than 100,000 times! So it's time for a big thank you. Thanks to everyone who downloaded it, for all your feedback and all the ratings and reviews on the App Store.

A new update (this time featuring the long awaited external view and replay options) is on it's way, and if all goes well, 2011 will bring more updates with cool new features and perhaps other F-SIM flight simulation apps. Stay tuned :-)
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Happy birthday F-SIM Space Shuttle

UNREAD_POSTby desktopsimmer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 pm

One year, wow! It has progressed somewhat. Did you think that it would grow this far?
desktopsimmer

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Happy birthday :D !
Still the best sim app in the store.
I discovered it early February and still in love with it.
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Did you think that it would grow this far?

Actually, no. As with most things I do, I totally underestimated the amount of work that goes into something like that. When I started in September/October 2009, I was sure that it would be ready by Christmas (2009!), complete with external views, replays and whatnot. In terms of sales I expected something like a bell shaped curve. So the plan was to release the Space Shuttle sim and immediately start to work on a new flight-sim app. Christmas passed, and I realized that I had to release what's ready and hand in the missing features later, as free updates.

What surprised me was the continuity - it constantly sold about 150/day on average. There was a short time, before the released of version 1.4 (with OpenFeint) when sales dropped below 100/day. But with each new update that figure even grew to about 200/day. It's that continuity that allowed me to keep working on it and to improve it step by step (or perhaps it's the other way round :) ). The iPad version and the $.99 sale over christmas gave it a nice boost so it actually broke the 100,000 mark - that I never would have guessed!
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby blackbird1955 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 pm

it actually broke the 100,000 mark

Congrads & Happy B-day. I'm looking forward to it being in the "Hall of Fame".
blackbird1955

UNREAD_POSTby quinncidence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:52 am

Happy Birthday!!
quinncidence

Return to Developer's blog