v2.8 Video recording is AWESOME

General discussion about F-SIM Space Shuttle.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

v2.8 Video recording is AWESOME

UNREAD_POSTby FlyingSinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 am

Wow, Sascha, another great update! Video recording works great! Nice job!

I recorded my first landing in many months, only a "safe" landing, but OK, I went with it. :D I made a video (HD) with manual edits on my iPad Mini. I should probably re-do this because the "slow motion" on the edit playback tricked me into making several of my "scenes" too short (cutting to HUD view especially). I brought this into iMovie to add a few captions and a soundtrack ("Down & Out," a song from my new album) and posted it on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/0nbhy8NVHLk

Thanks again for this amazing app and for continuing to add to the features and entertainment value! I'm sure this video feature will help to spread the word to a new generation of simulated shuttle pilots. :)

-Bruce Irving
FlyingSinger

Re: v2.8 Video recording is AWESOME

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 am

Very nice!

I know, the video recording doesn’t work in real time (at least not for full HD movies). But I thought I’d better strive for quality than for speed. So even though the video is recorded at 30 fps, F-Sim is still rendering a virtual 60 fps and blends every two frames for a motion blur effect (rendering only 30 fps made the videos look too jerky).

If you have iMove installed you could render multiple passes though (each from a different camera angle). You don’t have to record the full length each time, you can start at the current position and hit the stop button at any time—the video will still be saved. Then you could use iMove to edit the shots, add transitions, etc.

Nice music :)
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby FlyingSinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 am

I was not complaining - I thought it made a lot of sense that if you would allow interactive view selection while rendering a full HD video that you would need to slow it down. The iPad Mini is quick but it's not a super computer (it's not even an iPad 3 or 4). It's easy enough to adjust for the slower speed while editing (or to use multiple recordings and edit with iMovie or something as you suggested).

I also wrote a little update review on my blog
http://flyingsinger.blogspot.jp/2013/04/f-sim-space-shuttle-video.html

(I noticed I've done about 6 blog posts on F-Sim since I first got the app in December 2010 - the only game to have maintained interest and stayed installed on my iDevices for more than a couple of weeks). It's really a classic that keeps getting better!

Thanks,
Bruce
FlyingSinger

UNREAD_POSTby frankynov » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

I agree, the music is very nice ! :) As I can see on your blog you're also an orbiter user ?
F-Sim is also the app I've bought a long time ago and I still enjoy using it every day.
frankynov

UNREAD_POSTby FlyingSinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for the comments on the music! Yes, I am a major Orbiter fan, though not as active recently. I wrote the Orbiter tutorial manual "Go Play In Space" (2005 and 2006 editions, http://www.amcsorley.dsl.pipex.com/play_in_space.htm - the 2010 update has been delayed by other parts of life).

Cheers,
Bruce
FlyingSinger

UNREAD_POSTby zohaa3492 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 am

Amazing! Very, very nice :)
zohaa3492

Return to General discussion