Inconsistent leaderboard updates-why?

Need help with F-SIM Space Shuttle? Post your questions here.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Inconsistent leaderboard updates-why?

UNREAD_POSTby Rory the Border » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm

There are five leaderboards. I've not done anything worthy of update on 'final approach' or 'consecutive good landings' for months, so no worries there, and only achieved consecutive perfect landings a week or so ago, and they registered fine. However, I've had half a dozen perfect full approach landings in the last few days, none of which have registered- leaderboard still shows a 'good' 585k score from twelve months ago. And most annoyingly I managed 73 consecutive safe landings around the same time- that stat remained on the leaderboard for 48hrs then mysteriously changed to 39, where it still sits, despite my currently being on an unbroken run of 60, built up over the last 24hrs.

So why the inconsistency? I can see myself painstakingly making 100+ safe landings, finally coming down slightly too hard, and having nothing whatsoever to show for several days' effort. I wouldn't mind, but this is the best sim out there, and... actually, I do mind!
Rory the Border

Re: Inconsistent leaderboard updates-why?

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:14 am

The leaderboards just don't work properly. Not sure if it is Gamecenter related or the F-Sim app not relaying information correctly to Gamecenter.
I've taken the #1 spot twice now on the leaderboard for final approaches but what it shows is a really old score as being my best. I haven't used the app for a long time but see the leaderboard is still screwed up. A day or two ago I did a few flights with a top score from those flights being a 1,102,182. Gamecenter currently is showing 1,059,289 although I did several flights which were higher than that not just the 1.1mil. Checking my consecutive safe landings they are also not correct.

The way I see it, just fly to beat your own best scores going from your ingame stats and don't expect too much from Gamecenter.
Nikon D3x

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:54 am

I just added this thread regarding a new leaderboard for Gamecenter:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3809

As mentioned in the thread, the leaderboards first need to be fixed.
Nikon D3x

UNREAD_POSTby Rory the Border » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:19 pm

To update my post of two weeks ago- still inconsistent. The consecutive safe streak got to 62; didn't register. Nor did yesterday's six consecutive good. But I just recorded a 949k final approach, and that registered immediately (only thirty people have landed better than me today whoop-di-doo). Whether the issue is with FSim or Gamecentre I cannot tell; either way it's the fact that some stuff registers but most does not that bugs me.

Just a thought- could bandwidth be an issue? Out here in the middle of nowhere the WiFi is a bit variable, and we have one or two other devices appropriating it- my wife and her Internet tv are probably the worst offenders...

Hang on- it's just a few hours later and the 62 consecutive safe have now shown up on the all-time list. What's more, they also appear on the 'today' list, and the streak ended a week ago. If someone has manually input the figure, then thank you-and can you do the same with my full approach of 915,306... If not, then what in Atlantis is going on? Inconsistent is no longer a strong enough word!
Rory the Border

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:04 am

Rory the Border wrote:Just a thought- could bandwidth be an issue?

If someone has manually input the figure, then thank you-and can you do the same with my full approach

Definitely nothing to do with bandwidth and don't believe anyone is monitoring thousands of scores when several threads here have not even received a response.

The leaderboards simply don't work. Been screwed up for a very long time. Makes the app not worth playing and if your score shows or not is irrelevant. Unless the leaderboards actually work you cannot consider to have beaten anyone or be placed anywhere as you are not shown against the leaders of the game, you are only shown against the few people that actually had their scores record. Likewise, if you do register or lead a leaderboard you can't really say you achieved anything because you could've been beat many times by people who didn't have their scores register.

As mentioned last post, I've taken the top spot twice now and it never showed. If the boards ever work I may try for it a 3rd time but right now it is just pointless using the app unless you just want to beat yourself which is all you can really do.
Nikon D3x

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 am

Just did some of my own testing. Played a game where I showed up on leaderboards and just beat my score twice. Both times my score showed instantly in Gamecenter. Went immediately after this into F-Sim, flew one flight and scored 1,070,904. Clearly this score should make today's top score list but nothing!

From this little test F-Sim seems to be the issue and just doesn't record scores correctly. Gamecenter appears to be functioning perfectly.
Nikon D3x

UNREAD_POSTby Rory the Border » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Well no, Nikon, I wasn't seriously suggesting that someone had manually input my 62. But was it any less likely than the alternative, which was that the figure had been floating around in the ether for a week or so before suddenly appearing on the leaderboard an hour or so after I complained about it in a forum? Spooky! And as I said, the 949k final approach registered instantly. Inconsistent and annoying. Frustrating too, as FSim remains an absolute 'go-to' for me- properly grown-up, challenging, and about the only fulfilling thing you can do with an iPad and a spare ninety seconds.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know how you can knock out million-plus landings at the drop of a 'chute- never got beyond 967k myself- but that would be a topic for another forum...
Rory the Border

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Rory the Border wrote:But was it any less likely than the alternative, which was that the figure had been floating around in the ether for a week or so before suddenly appearing on the leaderboard an hour or so after I complained about it in a forum?

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know how you can knock out million-plus landings at the drop of a 'chute- never got beyond 967k myself- but that would be a topic for another forum...

From the short test I did F-Sim appears to be the issue. If this is the case, what triggers or does not trigger a score to be uploaded to Gamecenter could be literally anything and you would need to be the developer to properly look into it. The app may cache recent scores somewhere? It does save replays and high scores now, what else is saved? What part of the F-Sim software triggers an upload to Gamecenter in the first place? Is there some server transfer issue between F-Sim and Gamcenter allowing scores to be held for a delayed period before being posted to Gamecenter or often not posted at all? Myself being just a user of the app, I simply don't know.

I haven't played F-Sim for a long time so haven't played enough recently to understand exactly what problems may've been introduced through recent F-Sim updates. I did again play a different game which immediately updated on Gamecenter an hour or so after I made my last post. Gamecenter certainly appears to be working as it should be.

As for my scores, it takes practice, that's about it. No cheats, just technique. There is no current score on any of the leaderboards which cannot be overtaken. Just keep practicing, you will hit the 1 million sooner or later and go on from there. Once you get to a certain level, the high scores are still the toughest to beat, the consecutive landings are really just a matter of how much time you are willing to spend on F-Sim.

But first we need the leaderboards fixed.
Nikon D3x

UNREAD_POSTby Rory the Border » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Your 'cache' idea is a good 'un, but as we have both noted this has been an issue for much longer than FSim has been saving high scores and replays. And at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it's the inconsistency that really bothers me. Between my last post and yours I did a 990k, a second consecutive perfect landing, and- guess what!- it registered in today's consecutive perfect landings but NOT in the high scores!

Point taken re the practice. I don't watch TV, and cannot currently play the guitar due to a shoulder problem; the time spent on FSim would indeed appear to be paying off...
Rory the Border

UNREAD_POSTby Nikon D3x » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Rory the Border wrote:Between my last post and yours I did a 990k, a second consecutive perfect landing, and- guess what!- it registered in today's consecutive perfect landings but NOT in the high scores!

Just checked Gamecenter to make sure what you see there and what I see there is the same and yes, it's exactly as you have said. I see you in the perfects but can't see you in the scores.
Congrats btw! May be a big battle on the leaderboard if it gets fixed with you involved! ;)
I'm sure gimpster69 is lurking around somewhere waiting to see if people are going to attempt to take his scores. I'm coming for them gimpster! :mrgreen:
Nikon D3x

Next

Return to Support