Shuttle launch tomorrow

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Shuttle launch tomorrow

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Space Shuttle Discovery is scheduled to launch tomorrow, April 5 2010 at 6:21 a.m. EDT. Don't miss it, you can watch it live on NASA TV. STS-131 is Discovery's penultimate flight, with only three more shuttle launches to follow. Good luck and Godspeed!
Discovery on launch pad 39A. Image: NASA

Update:
80% GO for launch today, the only concern is the possibility of fog on the runway (in the event of a return-to-launch-site abort).

Check out NASA's lanch blog.

You can also watch it live, here are the URLs of the mirror streams at yahoo.com (the 1200 kbit/s stream has pretty good quality):

Low broadband: 150 kbit/s
Mid broadband: 300 kbit/s
High broadband: 500 kbit/s
Full speed: 1200 kbit/s
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Shuttle launch tomorrow

UNREAD_POSTby Florian Wardell » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 am

I also suggest you watch the SpaceVidCast.com feed, they're the only ones to have true HD during launch (or so they say) and they have cool ascend stats on the screen as well.
Also, their desktop Adobe Air app is pretty convenient.
Florian Wardell

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks for that SpaceVidCast link!

Edit:Actually the yahoo feeds look better on my PC (might be my internet connection though). They're SD, but run smoothly at 30fps. The spacevidcast feed is HD, but I see a lot of artifacts and the framerate seems to be more like 15fps. Again, this might be my internet connection and not spacevidcast's fault.

The only think I don't like about the yahoo feeds is that they're about 1 minute late :?
Sascha
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Discovery is in orbit now.
Wow, the orbiters perform great these days, with the exception of a one day delay due to bad weather each of the recent flights launched on schedule. Congratulations to everybody @ NASA and their contractors.
Sascha
Site Admin

Return to Developer's blog